How does the gastric balloon work?
Do you have a gastric balloon? It doesn’t matter if you have the ReShape Gastric Balloon, Orbera balloon or Obalon balloon system. Ask yourself this: when do I typically stop eating during a meal? Is it when you’ve cleared your plate? When your stomach feels physically full? Or do you stop when your body is satisfied? Many people find it hard to know exactly when to stop eating with a gastric balloon inserted. If you learn to actively listen to your body, then you will realize when you have had enough food.
Your body has a unique communication system – the feeling of hunger and fullness are regulated by the hypothalamus in your brain. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to send signals to the hypothalamus to register as “I’m full!” If you are distracted, eat mindlessly or even too fast, you can override the communication system and unconsciously eat too much.
So I have the gastric balloon. What Should I do?
Once you’ve had the gastric balloon inserted, there are a few simple tips that will help you figure out if you’ve had enough to eat. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Understand what it means to be satisfied. Remember, you can be satisfied, full or stuffed! Satisfied means you’re no longer hungry, you could eat more, but are choosing not to.
- You may feel more content, and may lose that intense feeling of hunger or interest in food.
- A slight pressure or stretching feeling in your stomach is another signal that says your stomach is almost full. Stop eating.
- The amount of food consumed will keep you satisfied for about 3-6 hours or until your next planned snack or meal.
Try to practice recognizing the signals your body sends you to let you know when you’re full, it will make a noticeable difference in your weight loss success!
Here’s What You Can Do:
- Practice recognizing if you are full vs. satisfied during and after eating.
- Stop before you are uncomfortable or full and pay attention to how you feel.
- Evaluate this goal on a weekly basis in order to track your progress.
If you haven’t decided which balloon to use yet, our ReShape Balloon Specialists are here to help! To learn more about the full ReShape program please call 844-355-5974.Or if you need to find a ReShape trained practice in your area, go to https://reshapeready.com/get-started/, plug in your information and hit submit.