A major component of weight loss has to do with portion control. But sticking to a set amount of food can be difficult and differs from person to person, based on caloric and nutritional needs. To help you develop better eating habits that include portion control habits, SELF has complied a list:
- Aim for a 50/25/25 plate: Fill your plate or bowl with 50 percent veggies or salad, 25 percent lean protein, and 25 percent starchy vegetables or carbs.
- Use smaller plates: Small plates piled with healthy portions can help trick your mind into thinking you’re eating more than you really are.
- Set aside leftovers before you eat: This can help determine if you’ve served yourself the correct portion before you dig in.
- Share entrees when you go out to eat: Restaurant servings are typically more than enough for one person. When eating or ordering out, ask the waiter for a to-go box before your meal arrives or split it with another person.
- Stop eating snacks straight from the bag: Portion your snacks based on the label’s serving size and put them in Ziploc bags.
- Review your options before serving yourself at a buffet: Survey your options before you dig in so you can decide what you really want to eat, then portion it appropriately.
- Stop eating and watching TV at the same time: Eating when you’re distracted can lead to overeating. To help combat this, turn off your TV and ignore your phone next time you eat.
If you’re serious about losing weight and improving your health, the ReShape® gastric balloon system is a smart choice. The unique ReShape gastric balloon and comprehensive fitness, nutrition, and lifestyle coaching work together to help you achieve life-changing weight loss, without surgery. Learn more about how the ReShape intragastric balloon can help you lose weight and keep it off for good.